Listen to this article
-->

Translate

Day 4 of Lahaul Spiti By Walk | Shortcuts are not Often Worth IT?

Ups! I caught myself on the edge just in time. Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit!

Why? Check It out?

How did I end up here? To find out, let’s go back to this morning, when everything seemed to be pleasant. By the way, this video has subtitles in many languages. Check for subtitles in your language. I had a great start of the day at Hotel Abhishek, where I stayed last night with Gokul and Sumon, my new friends. This is the view of the mountains from the hotel balcony that I enjoyed with them. The owner of Hotel Abhishek took me to the rooftop and showed me a panoramic view of Reckong Peo City. Around 10:30, I started my walk.

This is the monastery, and right next to it is the market. You can see the Peo market from here. Over there is the Kothi Mata Temple, and beyond it lies Pangi Village. On this side, you'll find Kwaring village, while Kalpa rests atop this hill. That mountain you're gazing at is the Kinner Kailash. Oh, that mountain? Yes, indeed. As for the bus stand, it's right here, with a property directly in front of it. It's a lovely property, situated in a fantastic location. The views from here are truly splendid.

 

By the way, may I know your names?

Certainly, my name is Sunil.

And I'm Sanju.

Wonderful! It's a pleasure to meet both of you.

Thank you very much.

Around 10:30, I began my walk.

 

Good morning! Today marks the 4th day of my Lahaul Spiti Walk Trip. I'm currently in Reckong Peo, and from here, my destination is Ribba Khas, which is approximately 17 kilometers away.

 

Last night, I stayed at Hotel Abhishek, conveniently situated right in front of the bus stand. Both Sanju bhai and Sunil are wonderful individuals who showered me with their warmth and kindness. It's indeed a fine property, and I believe it's great for budget travelers. A bed here costs just ₹100. For the three of us, we secured a room for ₹500. And if you're traveling with your family, you can opt for a luxury room at ₹1200.

 

Reckong Peo is positioned about 7 to 8 kilometers above NH 5. At the same time, Kalpa is merely eight kilometers away. Hence, Reckong Peo lies between NH 5 and Kalpa. If you're headed towards pph, you needn't pass through Reckong Peo. In my case, I had to make the journey, so I descended the same 8 kilometers to reach NH 5. I've taken a shortcut; this walking path will lead me to Reckong Peo market, and subsequently, I'll reach Khawaring temple and connect to NH 5.

 

Kinnaura!!! Have you ever come across the name of this town? It serves as the headquarters city of the Kinnar district. It's also known by another name, my Reckong Peo. Do you understand now?

Reckong Peo is situated at an altitude of 2,290 metres (7,513 feet) above sea level.  It offers a spectacular view of the Kailash mountain and the Shivaling rock. I am back here after 12 years and  I am liking this name. Kinnaura!! it was part of the Guge Kingdom of Tibet. The town was later annexed by the Mughal Empire and then became part of the British India.

I first crossed the Reckong Peo market, where I saw a plastic bottle crushing machine for the first time. I think that’s a really good initiative.

I walked out of the town and took the Khwangi road, aiming to reach the Khwangi Mata temple as suggested by the hotel owner.

They greeted me with a warm "Namaskar Babuji." Look at this young boy striking a pose for a photograph. Alright then, goodbye!

 

Welcome to Khwangi Village. This is the exact location I was aiming to reach. An elderly gentleman recommended that I proceed a bit more. He mentioned there's another shortcut beyond the loops.

 

After walking a few more kilometers, I arrived at an intriguing spot. This straight road ahead leads to Pangi Nala.

 

This is when the most unexpected thing happened. On Google Maps, I saw a road called Peo Pangi Nala Road. It showed it as a shortcut.

I have planned to take Pangi Nala route, because it will not have much traffic. Such isolated places are good for me to walk on.

When I used Google to search for a walking path, it recommended this route to me.

 

How are you doing? Is this path safe to take all the way to Pangi Nala?

 

Yes, absolutely! Is that a mattress you have?

 

Yes, it's a mattress.

 

How much does the water bottle cost?

 

This particular one? It's probably around Rs. 500/-. This bottle is designed for cycling, so it's a bit more expensive.

 

Look at how they're staring at me. Greetings, Mata ji.

 

I was very happy to find it until I met a guy named Vishal. He warned me not to take that road.

 

I had covered around 500 meters when I learned about a landslide obstructing the path. It couldn't be crossed on foot. I had two choices: either venture forth to assess it myself or opt for an alternative route through the fields, avoiding the need to backtrack.

 

Let me ask you, my friend, are there more fields near the landslide area? Can I cross it there?

 

No, there aren't.

 

So, I would need to retrace my steps all the way back. Okay, let me investigate it for myself.

 

Despite his advice, I chose to trust Google Maps and continued walking. This led me to explore the landslide region firsthand.

 

Observe this scene: NH 5 is situated below, along with the Sutlej river. I'm walking along this path. Quite a sight, isn't it? This used to be the Pangi road, although nowadays it's no longer in use and is gradually deteriorating.

 

I've arrived at the spot Vishal had mentioned. Take a look over there—there's no way forward beyond this point. Nevertheless, I'm willing to take the risk and proceed a bit further, just to see what lies ahead.

Take a look! Right here is where the landslide occurred. It has completely blocked the road with a pile of rocks.

 

If I can manage to get past this obstruction, I'll make my way to that rock. It's possible that I might need to backtrack. The road leading ahead connects to NH5 and is visible from here.

My foot hasn't completely slipped from this spot, but it's an extremely dangerous place. Descend down the slope and you'll need to navigate through a challenging path. I'm practically crawling, using both my hands and feet, as there's no solid ground. The rocks under my sandals are as unstable as can be. One of the challenging aspects that emerged after attempting this is the steep incline.

Picture this: a moment of sheer recklessness and suspense. I found myself on the edge, about to take an enormous gamble. One wrong move, and I could have plummeted from the mountain, meeting a tragic end of my life. can you believe it?

I really shouldn't have carried two bags. This front bag is causing me so much discomfort. I need to figure out a way to adjust both bags onto my back.

 

What should I do now? My situation is getting worse by the minute.

 

Oh, no! ... Oh, no! What's happening?

 

I took this daring risk just to save some time and cover a few kilometers on foot.

 

Where am I stuck now?

 

Oh, no! There's seemingly no end to it. Another one awaits after I cross this.

 

Damn it! This is frustrating.

 

It's impossible to cross. Especially with two bags like this, it's absolutely impossible.

Reflecting on it now, it appears incredibly foolish. Not only did it waste my time, but it also sapped all of my energy.

 

I'm completely stuck, and it's a dire situation.

 

This obstacle seems insurmountable. How could anyone possibly cross it?

 

I guess it's time to turn back. But I can't even recall the exact path to retrace my steps.

 

Everything looks so different now.

 

I should have learned my lesson – shortcuts often don't pay off. However, I'm curious to see what unfolds next. The future and the circumstances will influence my choices.

 

Had I been alone without these bags, I might have taken the risk and tried to cross it. But with two heavy bags like these, it's nearly impossible.

 

I'm drenched in sweat now.

I believe today's episode should conclude at this point. Tomorrow, as we embark on the journey ahead, I'll be able to share more insights with you. Currently, I find myself in a rather difficult state, but rest assured, the next installment will reveal the continuation of the story.

 

For those interested in following the entire series, the complete details are provided below. This information is presented to acknowledge and support those who have contributed. Their names are mentioned in quotes, and by taking a moment to read through, your support becomes vital. With these contributions, we can sustain our team and continue onwards. Thank you immensely, take care, and goodbye, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stranded in Spiti's Monsoon Mystery: Unpredictable Journey | Day 18 | La...

oin me on an unexpected adventure in Spiti, where I find myself stranded amidst heavy rains and floods. While staying with a local family, I...